Tuesday, January 17, 2012

and then there were none.

Apparently my uterus isn't the only place our embryos go to die.
  
Finally heard from the Sunshine Clinic this afternoon, after 2 days of anxiously watching my phone and bracing myself for news, all while trying to re-acclimate to actually being back at work for the first time since before Christmas. ("Oh, hey, where you been?" "Er [look at feet] I had to take care of some medical stuff so was working at home." Lame but vague enough that no one pressed.)
  
The embryologist broke the news that neither of our embryos made it to the blast stage, which was needed to biopsy a few cells for testing before freezing. They were still looking good on Day 3, and one of them on Day 4, but then they didn't advance any further, even after giving them an extra day. He kindly reassured me that even if we had frozen these embryos on Day 3, they very likely were abnormal and would not have gotten me pregnant, let alone been a take home baby.
  
I hate having to get this news at work all the time. I was trapped in a phone cubby, really needing a good cry but trying not to totally lose my shit which would be difficult to mask with a little powder and return to my desk. I finally snuck to the back stall in the bathroom, and couldn't help but think about how many days I have retreated to that very stall in tears, wanting desperately to just slip out a back door and go home. I managed to pull myself together finally, stare at my computer for a while, and then bullshit some reason for leaving early.
  
I'm feeling stunned and disappointed and hopeless. But at least if it wasn't going to work anyway, it's over now. Not 2 weeks from now when we'd find out the results of the genetic testing, not 2 months from now when we'd find out if the transferred embryo got me pregnant, not ?? months from now when I'd inevitably miscarry. How's that for a bright side?
  
Time for a regroup.

24 comments:

  1. God, I am so sorry hon. Take care of yourself in these dark days. Just keep breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so incredibly sorry hon. Sending you a gigantic hug. Here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I've been thinking about you, and wondering how everything turned out. I'm glad to hear that you feel that you didn't have to put your body through even more needless torture to find out. I think you're right about that, and definitely have perspective on this.

    Definitely time for a regroup, once your heart heals and all. :( I am just so sorry.

    ((Big Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. This is terrible news and I'm heartbroken that these guys didn't pull through. I am proud that you could hold it together long enough to make it through the afternoon and the idea of sobbing in that stall makes me wish even more that I could have whisked you off home immediately. I am incredibly, unbelievably sorry, brightside, and I'm here for you. Take your time to get to what's net. This was beyond difficult to bear. I am in tears for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry - there aren't really words, take care of yourself and give yourself the time that you need to regroup. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so, so sorry, Mrs. Brightside. :( I can't imagine how devastating this must be. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say, except that I'll be thinking of you as you regroup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this. I think missohkay summed it up well. I give you major props for having the strength to make it through the day, bathroom stall cry and all. Take the time you need to regroup and know that there are many ears (and arms) here when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry. You're good at finding a silver lining, but I know how sad this must be. I wish it could be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so sorry. It's really so incredibly frustrating and unfair and random. Particularly sending you hugs and prayers having to deal with this at work. Seriously, sometimes the odds in this stuff really, really piss me off. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry...it does indeed suck. I hate the suck, so much. I hope it changes for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just hopped over from MisfitMrs

    I'm so sorry hon, that's such a horrible sad disappointment - to go all the way through the crazyheadfuck (and bodyfuck) of ivf for it to end up so. I'm sorry you are on this path too, just read your Christmas post too, and can identify with your feelings. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm here from misfits. I'm so sorry. This just stinks. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart goes out to you. Know you have friends here in the ultranets.

    Here from Misfits with a virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  15. stopping by from Misfit's blog to add my voice to the many others. I'm so sorry. This is a shitty turn of events. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart is broken. I am so sorry that neither of the two were the ones. You've been on such a roller coaster and deserve some success and soon. So disappointed. Take care. Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here via Misfit. What a wrenching disappointment! I so hope you get some wonderful family-building breakthroughs SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  18. #$*^&!@*#(!@

    This is NOT the post I expected after alllllllllllllllllll that you have been through to get to this point. I'm so sorry sweet friend. Sending you infinite love and support from the south side.
    Lean on that amazing hubs of yours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here from LFCA - I'm so sorry. It sucks major rocks to have that happen (even if you can sorta see a bright side...).

    Thinking of you, and hoping the future is brighter than it currently appears.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by from LFCA too. I'm so sorry about your cycle. It sucks--I know first hand as I've been there. I read through your blog. I'm not sure what your next steps are, but have you considered getting a second opinion from Dr. Sher at SIRM? They offer free consults I believe. I cycled with him in Las Vagas. He specializes in RPL due to immune issues (auto and alloimmune). He might be able to offer some insight into your case.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ARGH. I left the comment directly above with my closed profile. Sorry about that! (In case you want to know who s commenting.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am here from Misfit's house.

    Your spin on the bright side of all this is great if you can believe it. I think the world of you for just typing it out. I am so damn sorry. I have been in a similar kind of hell and it sucks the life out of you.

    Be strong if you feel like it, otherwise cry your eyes out at work and fuck anyone who bats an eye.

    Your local cheerleader,
    Roccie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how you must feel. Well, I can, and it would more than suck. I wish there was something I could do to help.
    We're here, just vent away.
    Visiting from LFCA
    http://missconception-ads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete